For the second year, Partnering for Cures offered free, private, one-on-one meetings with leading experts from across the medical research field. The Expert Consultant Track allows registered conference participants to find specialists with a wide range of expertise through the partnering system, and request one-on-one sessions on a variety of commonly faced issues.
Experts provided issue analysis and tailored feedback based on participants' specific needs and challenges, and will be available through the EBD partnering system. A list of topics and current list of experts are below.
Strategic Planning »
These consultations will address strategic and business model issues including establishing planning guidelines and timelines, conducting strategic analysis and organizational assessments, setting or changing strategic direction, refining goals and methods, approaching collaborations (with both partners and funders), and mapping/measuring success.
- L. Russell (Rusty) Bromley - Principal, TRAC Consulting
- Katie Hood, M.B.A. - Former Chief Executive Officer, Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
- Marie Schiller - Partner, Health Advances
Structuring Deals & Collaborations »
These consultations will address various methods for formalizing and carrying out cross-sector partnerships as efficiently and effectively as possible. They will cover issues such as intellectual property, data sharing, and conflicts of interest to ensure that the proper legal and structural agreements/policies/processes are in place for successful collaborations.
- Carol Greve-Philips - Former Vice President, Corporate Development, Genzyme Corp.
- David Lubitz, J.D. - Attorney, Schaner & Lubitz
- John McKew, Ph.D. - Chief, Therapeutic Development Branch, National Center for Translational Therapeutics, National Institutes of Health
- Teri Melese, Ph.D. - Associate Professor of Medicine and Director of Research Technologies and Alliances, School of Medicine, Dean's Office, University of California, San Francisco
- Eric Nelson, Ph.D. - Chief Executive Officer, NCE Biotech Consulting
- Mark Scheideler, Ph.D. - Founder, HumanFirst Therapeutics, LLC
Attracting Philanthropic Capital »
These consultations will address the strategic acquisition and allocation of philanthropic capital. Consultants will come from both the foundation and investor perspectives, and will provide guidance on issues such as attracting investors, understanding/evaluating philanthropic investment objectives, building a high-impact medical portfolio, resource-building, etc.
- Eric Kessler, M.B.A. - Principal and Managing Director, Arabella Philanthropic Investment Advisors
- Melanie Schnoll Begun, J.D. - Managing Director and Head of Philanthropic Services, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
Communications & Marketing »
These consultations will address strategies for building visibility and credibility with collaborators and media. They will examine how to evaluate and pursue promotional and thought leadership opportunities, how to develop a compelling and differentiating narrative about your organization/project, and where/how to engage key opinion leaders and potential collaborators.
- Karen Bergman - Founder and Partner, BCC Partners LLC
- Alex Brownstein - Senior Vice President, DJE Science
- Mark Krueger, M.P.H. - President, Mark Krueger & Associates, Inc.
- Barbara Lavery - President, Zoomedia, Inc.
- Maureen Suda, M.S. - Principal, Suda Communications LLC
Interacting with the FDA »
These consultations will feature advice on what to expect from the regulatory review process and point participants to resources for managing their particular challenges. Conversations will be centered on where and how to interact with the FDA around various points of interest (e.g. biomarker validation, data collection guidelines, IND/NDA tracking, clinical trial protocols, communication with industry).
- Mary Dwight - Vice President of Government Affairs, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Michael Werner, J.D. - Partner, Holland & Knight
The Expert Consultations at Partnering for Cures are informal sessions intended to be informational in nature. The individuals serving in the role of experts are providing their advice pro bono, and before acting upon any such advice you should consult with your own experts or consultants who are more familiar with your particular organizations. Neither the consultants nor the sponsors of Partnering for Cures shall be liable in any manner with respect to the outcomes or consequences that may result from any actions taken based upon the guidance offered in these sessions.